Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Illustration Friday: "HOLLOW"

This is my first submission for Illustration Friday for this weeks theme of "hollow." I had a really hard time thinking of something to draw. The only things I could think of was woods and something creepy. So I spend a long time going through a series of concepts and thumbnails until I came on the concept of souls and mask. When I took cultural anthropology my teacher explained that certain cultures thought that humans were simply a vessel and that mask held the spirits of gods. When worn the god would take over the human body.
I had fun looking up mask on Google Images. I drew mask from Africa, Hindu, Japan, China, the South Pacific, and then some mask I combined features from many cultures. I put the mask dealer in a Noh mask because is was the least obviously a mask.
I got really into this illustration. I had originally only planned only to draw two or three mask, but I kept seeing ones I liked online and wanted to add them until I ran out of room. I hope to do a more refined version of this eventually.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting and well done! I look forward to seeing more of your illustrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wonderful entry for IF! It looks like you got really into the piece and it shows..great detailwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! Masks are such an intriguing subject. What a fab first illo for the IF party! Well done, see you next week.

    ReplyDelete